Sunday, February 05, 2006

Off to Trinidad & Tobago

Football Fever and the Soca Warriors

I am glad I am able to set up this blog before I leave for Trinidad & Tobago on Monday. I went there in December to work with writer Peter Hossli on a story for the Swiss 'Sportmagazin' because Trinidad & Tobago and their team, the SOCA WARRIORS, has qualified for the 2006 World Cup in Germany !!! Congratulations !!
















We did interviews with just about everybody....like Michael Maurice, the coach for the goal keeper of the Nartional Team, photographed at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. He was the goal keeper for the National Team in 1989 when Trinidad lost the game to qualify for the World Cup against the USA at the same stadium. He sure is at peace again.
















Howard Chin Lee, minister of tourism, at his Port of Spain office. He has big plans for the world Cup and can't wait to present his country and its culture in Germany.
















Local sports reporters Nigel Simon (left) and Jovan Ravello at the 'Guardian', one of three daily newspapers in Trinidad. They are the heartbeat of Trinidad's sport reporting these days.
















These two ladies are representing the Football Association at a football joggling contest at Maracas beach, which did not happen due to heavy rains. Hence the wrapped footballs...
















Peter O'Conner, Marketing manager of the football association of Trinidad & Tobago, checks in with Soca Warriors (from left to right) Aurtis Whitley, midfielder, Cyd Gray, defender, and Steve Sealey, forward, at the Trinidad & Tobago Football association's office in Port of Spain
















My friend Awo happens to drive by on his bike on Frederick Street in Port of Spain
















Pat Bishop, head of the Carnival Institue in front of her house....
















A player from Providence Girls Highschool, the champion team of Trinidad & Tobago,2005, at Queens Park Savannah with her mother.
















My good friend and filmaker Harald Rumpf is about to shoot a documentary about the life Aquino, a boy who lives in Cocorite and is one of Trinidad's Moko Jumbies (stilt dancer). Work on the film, which will be produced for a German tv channel, will continue in February.













































I have traveled to T&T many times since 1986 and have published a book titled MOKO JUMBIES: The Dancing Spirits of Trinidad. Besides that I took countless pictures for my friend, the German artist Luise Kimme, who lives in Tobago since 1979 and whom I will visit again on this trip. We will work on a book about her work. Dogs rule in her house, she has eight of them. More about her in one of my next posts.































Another German artist, Nini Lorenza, who also lives in Black Rock, Tobago, shows off in her self made coffin. Don't worry, she is alive. Her house is decorated down to the smallest detail. No phone that is not being turned into art.


















...more soon from Trinidad & Tabago....















Please also visit my Trinidad and Tobago related posts the
Moko Jumbies Book
Moko Jumbie Heaven
Laura Anderson Barbata
Luise Kimme Sculptures in Tobago


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:06 PM

    allaboutme.... well said....

    He should also try and get linked with the #1 site of T&T were fans enjoy themselves away from home. They will be more than happy to help out with any info he may need on T&T.

    www.socawarriors.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your comments, Clyde and allaboutme, first, if you went through all my 'Trinidad ad Tobago' labeled posts, you would see much more than I could show in this one post, and second, the socawarriors.net site was one of the first who discovered and linked my blog to their site, they are listed as such in my 'you link me I link you' list.

    All the best, Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trinidad and Tobago Photographers Wedding Photography is our passion and we have selected the most talented individuals to be part of our team. A graduate of the University of the West Indies Bachelor of Arts Film Program, it was during my years of studying that she I fell in love with the audio-visual medium.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wedding photographers in Trinidad and Tobago-GRENADA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHY BY RESHMA MOHAN My very first wedding was done in the beautiful island of Grenada...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Mariam,from what I can read. It has been sad news and scam to everyone about Voodoo casters or so. But to me they are so real cause one worked for me not quite two weeks.i met this man on a blog his name is Dr Abalaka is a very powerful man.I traveled down to where his shrine his and we both did the ritual and sacrifice.he had no website site, and now me and my ex are living very ok now.I don't know about you but Voodoo is real;love marriage,finance, job promotion ,lottery Voodoo,poker voodoo,golf Voodoo,Law & Court case Spells,money voodoo,weigh loss voodoo,diabetic voodoo,hypertensive voodoo,high cholesterol voodoo,Trouble in marriage,Barrenness(need a child),Luck, Money Spells,it's all he does. I used my money to purchase everything he used he never collected a dime from. He told me I can repay him anytime with anything from my heart. Now I don't know how to do that. If you can help or you need his help write him on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) i believe that your story will change for better,or if you have any question you can contact me here as mariambaurice@gmail.com also his facebook link https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014833723968 Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best providing wedding photographers in Trinidad and Tobago. Wedding photographers and cinematographers. Caribbean and international destination wedding.
    Photographer in Trinidad

    ReplyDelete